Most of the HostGator signup process is fairly self explanatory. However, there are a few areas that may be confusing if this is your first website. So, in this guide, we'll walk you through the process and show you how to save the most money on your web hosting plan.
If you aren't planning on reading the rest of this guide, please at least read the Brief Summary of Important (non-obvious) Steps.
Table of Contents
- Brief Summary of Important (non-obvious) Steps
- Step 1 – Get Your HostGator Discount Coupon
- Step 2 - Goto HostGator’s Website and Click “VIEW WEB HOSTING PLANS”
- Step 3 - Select a Web Hosting Plan
- Step 4 - Make up a Temporary Domain Name and Enter Your Coupon Code
- Step 5 – Select Your Billing Cycle and Enter Your Billing Information
Brief Summary of Important (non-obvious) Steps
- In step 4, if you don't have a domain name yet, we don't recommend creating one during the registration process (because it's more expensive). Just make up a temporary one and enter it when you're asked for your domain name. We'll show you how to create your own domain name and change this later.
- When you're entering your billing information in step 5, we recommend prepaying for a year or longer up front, which will give you a fairly big discount. You can change how many months you prepay for by changing your Billing Cycle.
- You can get a full refund for up to 45 days. After 45 days, you can also get a refund for any unused months, so you have nothing to lose by prepaying for multiple months up front.
Step 1 - Get Your HostGator Discount Coupon
For the latest HostGator coupons and discounts, please visit our HostGator coupon code page.
Step 2 - Goto HostGator's Website and Click "VIEW WEB HOSTING PLANS"
Once you're at HostGator's website, click the yellow VIEW WEB HOSTING PLANS button that's shown in the picture below.
Step 3 - Select a Web Hosting Plan
Next, you'll see a list of HostGator's web hosting plans, which are shown below.
The plans are very similar except for the differences shown in the picture above. Basically the Hatchling plan will allow you to run 1 website, and the Baby plan will let you run as many websites as you'd like under one account.
Once you've decided on your plan, click the ORDER NOW button under the plan you're interested in.
Step 4 - Enter Your Domain Name and Coupon Code
You'll now be asked for your domain name and coupon code.
Enter Your Domain Name
A domain name is an address like google.com or facebook.com that gives people a way to access your website.
If you already have a domain name, you can enter it here, and if you don't have one, you can create one.
Enter a Coupon Code
This page is also where you should enter any discount code that you have. As you can see from the picture above, we entered the coupon code GREENHOUSE, which will give us a 25% discount for up to 3 years. You can also save $9.95 by using the discount coupon: JAWBREAKER, but you'll have to pay full price after the first month, so the 25% discount will end up saving you more in the long run if you're willing to pay for multiple months up front.
45 Day Money Back Guarantee
All HostGator plans (except dedicated servers) come with a 45 day money back guarantee, so if you cancel during that time period, you'll get a full refund. Additionally, even after 45 days, they'll still give you a refund for any unused months, so you really have nothing to lose by prepaying for multiple months up front.
For an up-to-date list of all of the latest discounts, check out our HostGator Coupon Codes page.
Step 5 - Select Your Billing Cycle and Enter Your Billing Information
The billing information page confirms your hosting plan (shown as Package Type above) and asks what billing cycle you'd like.
Save more by choosing a longer billing cycle
HostGator offers discounts based on how many months you're willing to prepay for upfront. As you can see from the picture above, they offer billing cycles from 1 month to 36 months. The great thing is that their 25% discount also applies for up to 36 months, so you can save a lot of money. The longer billing cycles also lock in your price for that entire amount of time -- even if HostGator increases their prices in the meantime.
Once you enter all of your billing details, you'll see the order details section at the bottom of the page, which is shown below.
With the Hatchling hosting plan and a 36 month billing cycle, the 25% discount saved us $44.55. It would have saved us about $72 with the Baby hosting plan.
To finish the ordering process, just click the CREATE ACCOUNT button at the bottom of the screen. After a few minutes, you should get an email with all of the details you need to access your account.